[return to top]
National Weather Service (NWS)
Other National Resources
- CNN Weather
- USA Today Weather
- Weather.Com, The Weather Channel
- Weather TAP, subscription required - local weather, radar, satellite, lighting, aviation, and other sections
- WeatherUnderground.com, weather by city, state, or country
- Weather Science Hotlist, Franklin Institute Online, research and educational links on all topics
- Weather Online, "the ultimate weather site on the internet"
- UM Weather, "the Internet's premier source of weather information" - U. of Michigan
- WeatherPursuit.com "the ultimate online weather resource"
- Weather links at RefDesk
- Weather Links
- Army Corps of Engineers weather links
- Weather World's Collection of Weather Sites on the Net
- The Old Farmer's Almanac, Long Range Forecast
- Intellicast Weather
- Office of the Federal Coordinator for Meteorology (OFCM) Homepage
- Office of the Federal Coordinator for Meteorology (OFCM) Publications
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA)
- Program for Climate Model Diagnosis and Intercomparison (PCMDI), "to develop improved methods and tools for the diagnosis,validation and intercomparison of global climate models"
- NEXRAD Radar Operations Center (ROC), Norman, OK, with personnel from NWS, AF, Navy, and FAA
- U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)
- National Center for Atmospheric Research (NCAR)
- EPA's Global Warming Site
- NASA Langley Aviation Weather Information (AWIN) Homepage
- Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Program, supported by Dept of Energy, "obtaining field measurements and developing models to better understand the processes that control solar and thermal infrared radiative transfer in the atmosphere (especially in clouds) and at the earth's surface."
- Atmospheric Sciences Technical Group, at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)
- Joint Agricultural Weather Facility, USDA and NOAA, "primary mission of the JAWF is to routinely collect global weather data and agricultural information to determine the impact of growing season weather conditions on crops and livestock production prospects"
- World Agricultural Outlook Board, Dept of Agriculture, includes impact of weather on world crops
Navy & Marine Resources
- Joint Air Force and Army Weather Information Network (JAAWIN)
- FM 34-81, Weather Support for Army Tactical Operations
- FM 34-81-1, Battlefield Weather Effects
- FM 31-70, Basic Cold Weather Manual
- Army Weather Support Team, U.S. Army Intelligence Center, Fort Huachuca, "to inform Army commanders, and the intelligence community supporting them, of Army weather doctrinal concepts, capabilities, and the advantages those capabilities afford. Air Force weather personnel working with the Army will also be interested in the information presented here."
- Cold Regions Research and Engineering Laboratory (CRREL), US Army Corps of Engineers
Air Force Resources
- Naval Meteorological and Oceanography Command (NMOC), public site, includes news, publications, and educational materials
- Naval Meteorological and Oceanography Command (NMOC), operational support
- Naval Meteorological and Oceanography Command (METOC) Reserve Program
- Naval Oceanographic Office
- Fleet Numerical Meteorological and Oceanography Center (FNMOC)
- FNMOC Daily Focus, including US coast-to-coast weather map and regional weather maps around the world
- FNMOC Global Regional Weather Maps
- Naval Atlantic Meteorology and Oceanography Center (NLMOC), located in Norfolk, Virginia and serves as a facility for the distribution of Atlantic Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) information to the Atlantic Fleet.
- Naval European Meteorology and Oceanography Center, Rota, Spain
- Naval Pacific Meteorology and Oceanography Center, Pearl Harbor, Hawaii -- also, Joint Typhoon Warning Center
- Naval Pacific Meteorology and Oceanography Center, San Diego, California
- Naval Pacific Meteorology and Oceanography Center, Yokosuka, Japan
- Navy Operational Global Atmospheric Prediction System (NOGAPS)
- Naval Weather Service Association
- Naval Meteorological and Oceanography Professional Development Center
- Tropical Cyclone Forecasters' Reference Guide
- AF Publications, 15 series, Weather
- Air Force Weather Agency (AFWA), public page
- Joint Air Force and Army Weather Information Network (JAAWIN)
- Air Force Weather Technical Library (AFWTL), Asheville, NC, "equips Air Force Weather warfighters with tailored scientific and technical information -- building the knowledge needed to Own the Weather for Battle."
- Air Force Weather Agency Doctrine as posted by FAS, the Federation of American Scientists
- Air Force Combat Climatology Center, "Past Weather, Our Future"
- Air Force Combat Weather Center, Hurlburt Field, FL, "As the USAF Center of Excellence for all Combat Weather Team (CWT) operational issues, our mission is to develop, evaluate, and transition new techniques, procedures, and technologies to Air Force CWTs to enhance the effectiveness of Air Force and Army operations. AFCWC operates as a center under the Air Force Weather Agency (AFWA), a US Air Force Field Operating Agency aligned under Headquarters US Air Force."
- 720th Special Tactics Group, Hurlburt Field, FL
- Includes Combat Control, Pararescue, Combat Weather, and support personnel
- 10th Combat Weather Squadron, including jump school, eligibility, job description, mission, and special training
- The Hurricane Hunters, 53rd Weather Reconnaissance Squadron, Air Force Reserve -- includes photos from inside the hurricanes
- USAFE Operational Weather Squadron
Strategic Weather and Environmental Science
Schools and Courses
Publications and Research
- See also the Space Operations page
- General Resources
- Space Weather Main Page, Joint Air Force & Army Weather Information Network (JAAWIN)
- Space Weather Resources, Rice Univ.
- Space Media Network, including
- National Space Weather Program, by the Space Weather Center
- Space Assets for Earth Weather
- Defense Meteorological Satellite Program (DMSP), data, features, links, etc.
- Satellite Imagery on the Internet, National Weather Association (NWA) Remote Sensing Committee
- Forecast Products Development Team, Office of Research and Applications (NOAA/NESDIS), including GOES and POES satellite products
- TOPEX/Poseidon US/France satellite studies of oceans/climate (see El Niño)
- Goddard Institute for Space Studies, focused on global climate change
- Nimbus 7 Solar Backscatter Ultraviolet (SBUV)Instrument, profiling ozone
- Total Ozone Mapping Spectrometer (TOMS) SO2 and Ash
- Weather in Space
- Space Environment Center (SEC), NOAA
- NASA's Advanced Composition Explorer (ACE) satellite
- NASA's Solar and Heliospheric Observatory (SOHO)
- NASA Space Weather Learning Center
- Sun-Earth Connection, solar effects on solar system, from NASA
- Solar Physics Group, Marshall Space Flight Center, NASA
- Global Oscillation Network Group (GONG), observing solar oscillations, includes the National Optical Astronomy Observatory (NOAO), supported by National Science Foundation
- Compton Gamma Ray Observatory (CGRO), NASA