Ira C. Eaker College
Air War College
(AWC) Gateway to
& Technology Central
Some documents have local copies for quick loading at AU schools.
Contact us. Please read this disclaimer regarding links.
Page updated 12 July 07.
I cannot teach anybody anything,
I can only make them think.
To know how to suggest is the art of teaching.
--- Henri-Frederic Amiel
A good teacher, like a good entertainer first must hold his audience's attention, then he can teach his lesson.
--- John Henrik Clarke
A wisely chosen illustration is almost essential to fasten the truth upon the ordinary mind, and no teacher can afford to neglect this part of his preparation.
--- Howard Crosby
He who is afraid of asking is ashamed of learning.
--- Danish Proverb
Who dares to teach must never cease to learn.
--- John Cotton Dana
Education is not to reform students or amuse them or to make them expert technicians. It is to unsettle their minds, widen their horizons, inflame their intellects, teach them to think straight, if possible.
--- Robert M. Hutchins
Seven Principles for Good Practice
- Teaching Tips Index, Faculty Development, Honolulu Community College, buncha stuff - dealing with stress, course design, motivating students, preparing a lesson plan, teaching techniques, ... Scroll down thru this site at least once to check out all the topics - you won't be sorry.
- Center for Teaching and Learning, Indiana State U., for improving teaching and faculty development
- Faculty Development Institute, Virginia Tech
- Technology in the Classroom, a whole passel of good resources ... such as
- Civilian Education and Professional Development, Civilian Personnel Management Service (CPMS)
- Innovate, peer-reviewed journal of online education
- Innovate-Live, portal for info on teaching innovations
- Probing the “It Depends” Variables - A Look at DSMC’s Three Decades of Teaching Management in the Political Context of Changing Situations (Local Copy), by Beck, in Program Manager journal, Defense Acquisition University, May-Jun 2001 - examines the changes in teaching styles and preferences
- Georgia State University Master Teacher Program, a little bit dated but still useful
- teaching approaches that appeal to different MBTI profiles
- Among the research presented is Joseph Lowman's two-dimensional model of teacher effectiveness. Master teachers must excel at both the intellectual and interpersonal dimensions of teaching.
- Four factors are central to achieving the intellectual dimension. These are
- (1) faculty organize content and present it clearly,
- (2) faculty stress relationships among different concepts,
- (3) faculty present content in a dynamic way with high energy, and
- (4) faculty love teaching.
- Three factors are central to achieving the interpersonal dimension. These are
- (1) faculty treat students as individuals,
- (2) faculty encourage students to ask questions or express personal opinions, and
- (3) faculty behave in a positive and consistent manner towards students.
- New Tools for Teaching, by O'Donnell, U. of Penn.
- Faculty development links, New Jersey Virtual University