-- RETURN TO TOP --
- Air University and Maxwell AFB Resources ___return to top
- Resources in the Area ___return to top
- Many of the resources below have been visited in the past as half-day or full-day trips as part of core courses, short courses, or elective courses.
- Air Force Civil Engineering Support Agency (AFCESA), Tyndall AFB, FL - with many programs having to do with preparedness, readiness, and response
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), Atlanta, GA.
- I.G. Brown Air National Guard Training and Education Center, McGhee Tyson ANG Base, TN - where our staff often do guest lectures
- Joint Special Operations University (JSOU) at Hurlburt Field, FL
- Noble Training Center at Ft. McClellan, AL provides the only hospital in the world that is exclusively used to train personnel on responding to mass casualty incidents to include smallpox, terrorism initiated chemical incidents, and other catastrophic disasters.
- Center for Domestic Preparedness at Ft. McClellan trains over 30,000 first responders a year to respond to terrorism incidents and has a state of the art training facility as well as the only live agent training facility in the United States - "only federally chartered WMD training center."
- Noble Training Center and Center for Domestic Preparedness are integrating their training providing creating synergistic impact as first responders are provided opportunities to coordinate with hospital and medical personnel and visa versa.
- Jefferson County, Alabama is considered as a best practice center for emergency management and has been used to train personnel attending Noble and to test new homeland security policies.
- Gulf Coast locations are nearby for examination of storm preparation, response, and vulnerabilities -- as well as immigration, border, and port security issues.
- Browns Ferry (Athens, AL) and Farley (Houston County, AL) nuclear power plants
- The Center for Collaborative Research and Training will be located at Fort McClellan. An architectural assessment is under way for a multi-use homeland security training center, homeland security business incubator and a high tech emergency operations center that can be used for training and actual support for catastrophic disasters.
- Proposals have been submitted to locate the National Biological and Agricultural Defense Facility (NBAF), proposed by DHS to replace the current Animal Disease Lab at Plum Island, to Fort McClellan and be run by a consortium of Universities in AL, including Auburn and the University of Alabama at Birmingham. Other sites in relatively close proximity to Montgomery -- in Tennessee, Georgia, and Mississippi -- have also been proposed as locations for the NBAF.
- Within short driving distances are national research labs and major military installations, including the following
- First Air Force, Continental US NORAD Region, Tyndall AFB, FL
- Air Force Research Laboratory's Munitions Directorate, Eglin Air Force Base, FL
- Eighth Coast Guard District, "Guardian of the Heartland", headquartered in New Orleans
- Naval Education and Training Command, Pensacola, FL
- Naval Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory (NAMRL) Pensacola, FL
- U.S. Army Soldier Battle Lab (SBL), Ft. Benning, GA
- U.S. Army Battle Command Battle Lab, Ft. Gordon, GA
- U.S. Army Air Maneuver Battle Lab (AMBL), Ft. Rucker, AL
- Aviation Technical Test Center Ft Rucker, AL
- Aeromedical Research Laboratory Ft Rucker, AL
- Naval Air Warfare Center Training Systems Division (NAWC TSD), Orlando, FL
- Aviation and Missile Research, Development and Engineering Center (AMRDEC) Redstone Arsenal, AL
- Redstone Technical Test Center (RTTC) Redstone Arsenal, AL
- Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education, Oak Ridge, TN