Identifies the internal and external politics that impact the work of the
organization. Approaches each problem situation with a clear perception of organizational and
political reality, recognizes the impact of alternative courses of action.
Ideas for Developing this Competency:
- Serve on a community outreach program.
- Read the newspapers, books and other publications with comprehensive political
analyses (several available on-line). Expose yourself to opposing viewpoints on particular issues.
- Arrange a detail in a legislator's office.
- Listen to radio and TV programs which cover political issues.
- Speak with people in your organization who
understand the internal and external politics that affect the agency.
- Participate in the Legislative
- Complete a detail in the Washington
Office or state office External Affairs.
- Participate in statewide leadership
team meeting in some role such as scribe or facilitator.
- Serve on a nationwide policy group.