Creates and sustains an organizational culture which encourages others to provide the quality
of service essential to high performance.
Enables others to acquire the tools and support they need to perform well. Shows a commitment to public service.
Influences others toward a spirit of service and meaningful contributions to mission accomplishment.
Ideas for Developing this Competency:
- Serve as a mentor or sponsor to a new employee.
- Communicate to employees that commitment to public service is a top priority.
- Provide a suggestion box for employees and customers to submit their ideas on improving
- Initiate awards that recognize efforts to improve public service within the organization by
both individuals and teams.
- Coach a colleague on one aspect of his or her job.
- Join an employee organization.
- Join a community organization whose mission you admire.
- Volunteer at a food bank, shelter, or neighborhood school.
- Serve on a board or committee for a local nonprofit or charitable organization.
- Become involved with your neighborhood block watch.
- Show motivational videos at brown bag lunch sessions at work.
- Interview individuals who have given a lot to their community or organization - find out
what inspires them.
- Brainstorm ideas with your employees on how to demonstrate a commitment to public
- Initiate an "adopt a school" or "adopt a family" program in your office.
- Volunteer to be a key worker in the Combined Federal Campaign.
- Serve on a Human Resource Development