Definition: Formulates effective strategies consistent with the business and
competitive strategy of the organization in a global economy. Examines policy issues and strategic
planning with a long term perspective. Determines objectives and sets priorities. Anticipates
potential threats or opportunities.
Ideas for Developing this Competency:
- Arrange a brainstorming session with
staff and/or colleagues to discuss the BLM Strategic Plan goals
that relate most closely to your program and evaluate your
progress in achieving those goals (discuss obstacles and
- Build your annual goals and objectives around your agency's strategic plan. Make sure
they are realistic.
- Review the strategic plans of other organizations (many are posted on the web).
- Seek opportunities for assignments that require strategic planning, e.g., volunteer to serve
on a task force or planning committee.
- Select an organizational objective
that requires a long-range plan; take responsibility for
creating this plan; specify a date by which you intend to
complete this plan, measure your progress towards achieving the
plan by revisiting the goals and checking your accomplishments.
- When developing a long-range plan,
think about what your products and services will be. Define your
primary markets, your customers, and the geographic coverage of
your organization in five years.
- Review the goals in your strategic plan to make sure they are realistic.
Request feedback from others outside of your organization.
- Identify colleagues who appear to
have well-defined strategic plans; speak with them about how
they formulated their plans and the strategies they are using to
meet their objectives.
- Develop a "tool box" of strategic