Inspires, motivates, and guides others toward goal accomplishments. Consistently develops and sustains cooperative working relationships.
Encourages and facilitates cooperation within the organization and with customer groups. Fosters commitment, team spirit,
pride, and trust. Develops leadership in others through coaching, mentoring, rewarding, and
Ideas for Developing this Competency:
- Volunteer for a civic activity which uses groups to achieve common goals.
- Use open-ended questionnaires to generate objective responses from colleagues about
projects or plans you are working on. Use answers to identify what is working well, what is not working work well, and strategies
for working together more effectively.
- Shift the reward system to collaboration and teamwork rather than individual
- Implement more team approaches to solving problems in your work life and at home.
- Facilitate a meeting.
- Chair a re-engineering process study team.
- Serve as a coach or mentor.
- Serve on a committee of a professional association.
- Provide feedback to employees on a regular basis - more than midyear and end of year
- Take time to get to know your employees.
Do they enjoy the limelight or do they prefer working behind the scenes?
Do they prefer a lot of direction or operating more independently?
Are they given opportunities for growth?
- Develop team spirit through
celebrations and sharing experiences.
- Volunteer to work with someone in a
field different than your own.
- Have a weekend camp trip with
co-workers and their families.