| online books
see also videos
see also articles and publications
see also the index page
see also the AWC gateway to lessons learned
see also the research studies on research page
see also Mini-Course on Writing
- General Reference ___[return to top]
Military leadership is the sum of those qualities of intellect, human understanding and moral character that enable a person to inspire and to control a group of people successfully.
--- Major General John A. Lejeune
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed people can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
--- Margaret Mead
Leaders can let you fail and yet not let you be a failure.
--- General Stanley McChrystal
Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.
--- T. S. Eliot
- Quotations from Chairman Powell: A Leadership Primer
- "Rumsfeld’s Rules" Find Pentagon Readers, by Garamone, for American Forces Press Service, 23 Jan 2001
- AWC Gateway to Reference Resources
- AWC Gateway to the Internet
- USAF Center for Strategy and Technology
- Great Warrior Leaders and Thinkers - bibliographies for numerous historic individuals, from Air University Library
- Warrior Resilience & Thriving (WRT) - Thriving Through, Not Only Surviving Your
Combat Deployment to Return with Honor - by Jarrett, Fort Sill Social Work Service & Outreach Program
- Online Bibliography of Military Leadership, over 4,000 references, listed at Arizona State U.
- See 2001 version of AU-24, Concepts for Air Force Leadership, with more than 70 online articles
- See also Big Dog's Leadership Page, an online book with LOTS of practical and theoretical material
- National Clearinghouse for Leadership Programs, with many links for Journals, Organizations, Leadership Programs, Conferences, Syllabi, etc.
- Handbooks & Tools ___[return to top]
- See also Competencies, Skills, and Development Tools
- See also Readings and Handbooks at Gateway to Leadership and Ethics
- Strategic Leadership Primer, 3rd ed. (local copy, lo-res, 900 Kb), Army War College, 2010
(local copy, hi-res, 8.4 Mb)
- Joint Officer Handbook: Staffing and Action Guide (local copy, lo-res, 2.4 Mb), Aug 2010
(local copy, hi-res, 4.6 Mb)
- U.S. Army Self-Development Handbook (local copy)
- There are three types of self-development:
- Structured Self-Development: Required learning that continues throughout your career and that is closely linked to and synchronized with classroom and on-the-job learning.
- Guided Self-Development: Recommended but optional learning that will help keep you prepared for changing technical, functional, and leadership responsibilities throughout your career.
- Personal Self-Development: Self-initiated learning where you define the objective, pace, and process.
- The contents of this handbook will help you perform all three types of self-development. If you are pursuing personal self-development, this handbook offers exercises and information you can use to determine your self-development direction and start immediately working toward it. If you already have a direction for your self-development, the handbook will help you achieve progress in that direction.
- Mentoring Handbooks
- AU-2, Guidelines for Command, 3.5 Mb and (AU-2 cover, 5 Mb)
- A Handbook on the Leadership of People for Air Force Commanders and Supervisors
- Meeting the Media, a guide for DoD personnel speaking with representatives of the news media - prepared by the USAF Public Affairs Center of Excellence (PACE)
- Leadership and Influence (local copy), FEMA
- Leadership: Strategies for Company Success - Student Manual (local copy), FEMA - decision-making, problem-solving, running meetings
- Leadership: Strategies for Supervisory Success - Student Manual (local copy), FEMA - situational leadership, delegating, coaching, discipline
- Leadership: Strategies for Personal Success - Student Manual (local copy), FEMA - multiple roles, creativity, personal power base, ethics
- Public Affairs Handbook for Engineering & Services (local copy) - generic info for interacting with the media, especially on-air interviews
- The Commander & the Law
(see also AWC Military Law page)
- Communication, Management Benchmark Study (local copy), Dept of Energy -- includes chapters on leadership, networking, alliances, organizational culture, creativity, and innovation
- Command, Leadership, and Effective Staff Support (local copy), U.S. Army
- Battalion Commander's Handbook 1996 (local copy), U.S. Army War College
- CompanyCommand - sharing experiences and learning between company-level commanders
- PlatoonLeader - sharing experiences and learning between platoon-level leaders
- Air Force Forums, professional discussion forums, including
- Commanders Connection (hosted by ACSC)
- Field Grade Officer Forum
- "The Bar" (for Lt.s)
- Consideration Of Others Handbook, U.S. Army
- Consideration of Others has been developed for you, the commander. It is a tool designed to help you build unit cohesion and assist you in the complex task of leading solders.
- Department of the Army (DA) Pamphlets
- Learning Organization Doctrine - Roadmap for Transformation (local copy), U.S. Army Corps of Engineers - discusses use of tools, such as 7S model, to become a "learning organization"
- SES Executive Core Qualifications define the competencies and characteristics needed in SES members
- A Handbook for Measuring Employee Performance: Aligning Employee Performance Plans with Organizational Goals (local copy), OPM
- DoD (mini) Course on Facilitation Skills (local copy, with hot-linked table of contents)
- Leaders’ Guide for Contingency Operations: The Human Dimension (local copy), US Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences
- National Security Decision Making (NSDM) Department, Naval War College
- A Framework for Military Decision Making under Risks (abstract) (full copy), by Schultz, School of Advanced Airpower Studies (SAAS) -- see especially Chapter 2, Military Decision Making and Prospect Theory
- Quick-reference Guide to Risk-based Decision Making (local copy), by Macesker, U.S. Coast Guard Research & Development Center, Groton, CT
- Building a Toolbox for Risk-based Decision Making Within Your Organization (local copy), by Macesker and Dolph, U.S. Coast Guard Research & Development Center, Groton, CT
- Basic Process Improvement (BPI) Handbook (local copy), US Navy, Pacific Fleet
- U.S. Army Research Institute (ARI) products
- MILITARY AIR POWER: The CADRE Digest of Air Power Opinions and Thoughts, military quotes book, by Lt Col CHARLES M. WESTENHOFF, 1990, searchable using the Find feature in Word or browser [Zipped file, 95 KB]
- Online Books ___[return to top]
- See Air University Press - do a search (Ctrl-F) for lead or command, or browse for titles which are about leaders or leadership, but don't use the word in the title
- See 2001 version of AU-24, Concepts for Air Force Leadership, with more than 70 online articles
- Strategic Leadership and Decision Making (local copy), book from NDU
- Managing Strategic Change: an Executive Overview of Management (local copy), by Murphy, US Army War College
- Psychology of Intelligence Analysis (local copy), by Heuer, for CIA - not just for intel folks,
very good examination of many elements of critical thinking, with examples
- New Challenges for International Leadership: Lessons from Organizations with Global Missions, 2003 RAND book
- Command Concepts, 1999 RAND book by Builder et al -- includes basics of command and control theory and case studies of Nimitz, Guderian, Schwarzkopf, MacArthur, Moore, and Montgomery
- Command Decisions, Center of Military History (CMH) collection of essays on the key decisions by both sides in both theaters of WW II -- including plans and decisions between the wars
- 66 Stories of Battle Command (local copy), from U.S. Army Command and General Staff College Press
- Studies in Battle Command (local copy), by the Faculty of Combat Studies Institute -- short summaries of key historical battles
- A Short History of War (4000 BC - 1992) (local copy), from US Army War College
- Speeches ___[return to top]
- Journals, Periodicals, and Newsletters ___[return to top]
- See also Military journals and papers, at AWC Gateway,
including cumulative indices for some (makes for much easier searching)
- See also DOD and Military Electronic Journals, listed by Air University Library
- Joint Force Quarterly
- Parameters, Army War College journal
- Military Review, the Professional Journal of the US Army
- Jul-Aug 2002 Leadership issue
- Naval War College Review
- Air & Space Power Journal
- Military Law Review, copy at Library of Congress
- many interesting articles for leaders regarding law, as well as the following Hugh J. Clausen Lectures on Leadership
- Transformational Leadership - Teaching the JAG Elephant to Dance, Oct 1994, BGen (ret.) Dulaney L. O'Roark, Jr.
- Attributes of a Leader, Jan 1996, Lt Gen Henry H. Shelton
- Soldiering Today and Tomorrow, Dec 1998, Gen Frederick M. Franks, Jr.
- Lecture on Leadership, Sep 2001, Col George E. "Bud" Day
- Lecture on Leadership, Mar 2003, Maj Gen Kenneth D. Gray
- Government Executive magazine
- Journal of Military Ethics - Normative Aspects of the Use of Military Force
- Leader to Leader, journal of the Leader to Leader Institute (formerly the Drucker Foundation)
[Excellent selection of full text articles.]
- Wharton Leadership Digest, Wharton School, U. of Penn.
- The CEO Refresher, online articles
- The Leadership Quarterly - "An International Journal of Political, Social and Behavioral Science"
- Leadership Review, from the Kravis Leadership Institute, Claremont McKenna College
- The Leadership & Organizational Development Journal
- Advancing Women in Leadership
- The Journal of Leadership Education
- Current Research in Social Psychology, an electronic journal, U. of Iowa
- Bibliographies ___[return to top]
[return to top]