If you need to arrive before the assigned arrival day, that is OK; however, you will not be able to in-process until 1200 hrs on TD-0. Do not attempt to tour the OTS campus. Upon arrival, contact the "Recruiter Assistance" number which was provided for you to set up lodging and other arrangements needed. You may attempt to gain lodging at the University Inn on base (334-953-3931). If they are full, you will have to take a room off base.
By Airplane through the Montgomery Regional Airport (MGM):
If you fly into the Montgomery Regional Airport, you will have to pay for a taxi to take you from the airport on to Maxwell AFB and to the OTS Campus. THERE IS NO MILITARY DESK AT THE AIRPORT NOR WILL THERE BE ANYONE WAITING FOR YOU AT THE AIRPORT. If you run into any issues call the Maxwell AFB Command Post at 334-953-7333.
Have the taxi driver follow the directions for getting from the Maxwell Blvd Gate to the OTS Campus (below). Do not have them drop you off in front of the OTS campus.
A list of taxi companies approved for Maxwell AFB and their phone numbers can be found below:
It's your choice whether or not to bring a car to OTS. You won't be able to use one very much during training, but there are some good reasons to bring one. The first reason is for storage. Many OT's store their extra goods in their vehicle during OTS. Vehicles are kept in a parking facility on the OTS complex. Another reason to bring a vehicle is to get around town during the end of training or after graduation. A certain number of students have to wait at Maxwell for security or medical clearances, tech school training dates, or other reasons. Billeting is very busy at Maxwell and there is a chance they'll send you to a hotel downtown. You might appreciate the freedom a car would give you at this point. Finally, you may choose to drive to your next duty assignment. For example, if you came from Washington State and were assigned to Navigator training at Pensacola NAS in Florida, you'd have to fly back to Washington and drive across the country.
If you decided to drive your own vehicle, ensure that the registration will remain current through your stay at OTS and that it always has insurance.
If you decided to drive to OTS, here are the driving directions from the two major interstates that go through Montgomery, AL.
From I-65 North:
1. Exit on Exit 172 (Herron St. exit). Stay in the left exit lane.
2. Turn left at the 3rd stop light (Bell St.).
3. Proceed to the Bell St. Gate of Maxwell AFB.
4. If you don't have DoD stickers on your vehicle, you'll have to stop at the Visitor's Center, located at the Bell St. Gate, to get a pass.
From I-65 South:
1. Exit 172 (Clay St. Exit). Stay in the left exit lane.
2. Turn left at the 2nd stop light (Herron St.)
3. Turn left at the 1st stop light (N. Holt St.)
4. Turn left at the 2nd stop light (Bell St)
5. Proceed to the Bell St. Gate of Maxwell AFB.
6. If you don't have DoD stickers on your vehicle, you'll have to stop at the Visitor's Center, located at the Bell St. Gate, to get a pass
From I-85 South:
1. I-85 S
2. Exit onto Day St (Exit 172)
3. Turn right at Air Base Blvd; Day Street Gate.
4. Go straight pass gate and follow street (3rd St/Mitchell St)
5. Make left on Ash Street
6. Make right on Mulzer Blvd, follow signs to OTS In-processing
From the Maxwell Blvd Gate to the OTS Campus:
1. Enter Maxwell AFB through the Maxwell Blvd Gate
2. Follow Maxwell Blvd until Mulzer Blvd.
3. Turn right on to Mulzer Blvd
4. Drive past the Flightline (on the left) and the University Inn (on the right). The OTS Campus will be on the left after the flightline, HOWEVER, you will drive past it, through the 3 way stop in front of the campus.
5. Once through the 3 way stop, keep driving until you encounter a welcome station and receive further instruction.
For JROTC related questions please call Comm (334) 953-7513
For OTS - AMS related questions please call Comm (334) 953-8424
For OTS - BOT related questions please call Comm (334) 953-9675
For OTS - COT/RCOT related questions please call Comm (334) 953-0349
For those interested in attending BOT or COT, please utilize www.airforce.com to locate a recruiter in your area.
If you are having problems contacting a recruiter or have questions regarding what a recruiter has provided you, please contact 1-800-423-USAF(8723).
For ROTC and BOT Enlisted related questions please call your local Education Office. Not going through your local Education Office can prevent acceptance into a ROTC/BOT program.
For all other ROTC related questions please call AFROTC Recruiting at 1 (866) 4AFROTC