SQUADRON OFFICER SCHOOL (SOS)
How to Register for Distance Learning Program (MSOS003)
Other Student Categories including Civil Air Patrol
(Military rank takes precedence over any other ranks or grades)
Individual Mobilization Augmentee (IMA) reservists should contact their education and training POC for eligibility and enrollment procedures or email.
International officers may refer to AFI 36-2301, Paragraph 11.3 for enrollment criteria and procedures.
Civilians must be employed in the grade of at least GS-9, WS-8, WL-6, WG-12, DCIPS PB 2, or NAF 3/4 or above and must hold a regionally-accredited baccalaureate degree as documented in AFI 36-2301, Table 6. Additionally, they must have a minimum performance appraisal rating of “fully successful” (AFI 36-2301, paragraph 16.2.1)
CAP members must be verified by HQ/CAP. CAP members who hold military rank must meet the military rank requirements.
To begin the enrollment process, create an Air University Portal Account:
1. Go to the following website: https://auportal.maxwell.af.mil
2. Click on “Click here to login or create a new account”
3. Choose one of the two options on the right side under “New User Account:” If you already have an account, login by either using the “CAC Login” or the "Password Login." If you do not already have an account, create a “New User Account” by clicking on “Use your Common Access Card” (which ties your login to your CAC) or “None of the Above” (which creates username/password access to the portal from any computer).
4. Click “Create New Account.”
If you select the “Use your Common Access Card (CAC)” option:
1. Under “New User Account,” check “Use your Common Access Card (CAC)” > “Create New Account”
2. Select "Certificate" and click "OK"
3. Review the information under "Contact Information" and then click "Save" or “Next” at the bottom
If you choose the “None of the above” option:
1. Fill in the info and click “Next”
2. Verify information and click “Next” (it may ask for more info then it auto-populates)
3. Enter information including Username/Password at bottom of screen and click “Create Account”
Once your AU Portal account is established, if you are presented with a page with a menu on the left that includes “Distance Learning,” select “Distance Learning” > SOS DL > AUSIS. This opens a new browser window with the AUSIS logon page. Click “Accept” if you accept the disclaimer(s). If you are presented with a list of courses, click “SOC DL.” Once you get to an error message or a page with the shields of AU schools, you may log out. Your enrollment is now in a “paused status” until you email or fax the information requested below to the Registrar’s office.
1. If you are directed to a screen with three options for enrollment; click “Request Student Access.” Click “Accept” if you if accept the disclaimer(s). (If this results in an error message, go back to the screen with three options for enrollment and use the menu options on the left of the screen to click “Create Account” > “Student Account.” )
2. Enter the required information as indicated by the *, including your Test Control Facility (TCF) and click “Save.”
For civilians, you may have an error message appear on your screen. In spite of these messages, you are logged in to AUSIS. Click “OK” or “Save” (if available) and you will see five shields, one of which is labeled “Squadron Officer College.” If “OK or “Save” does not appear, then logout. If the five shields appear, please click “OK” and log out. Your enrollment is now in a “paused status” until you email or fax the information requested below to the Registrar’s office.
Your enrollment will be in a “paused” status until the AU Registrar receives the following documents from you by email attachment to "email@example.com" or by fax to DSN 493-8127 or commercial (334) 953-8127:
1. Your full Social Security Number. (Email must be encrypted when
sending Privacy Act information)
2. Your baccalaureate degree transcript
3. Evidence of your civilian employee grade or CAP rank
4. If a civilian employee, evidence that you have a minimum performance rating of fully successful (AFI36-2301 paragraph 16.2.1.)
To obtain the information listed above, please follow these instructions:
1. Log in to the Air Force Portal
2. Under the top links on the left of the screen select “AFPC Secure Applications”
3. Select “Civilian Career Brief,” then “Submit”
4. Select “Current Position Data” and print this page or save electronically
5. Select “Appointment Information” and print this page or save electronically
6.Select “Education” and print this page or save electronically
7.Select “Exit” to close
AU will hold your enrollment application for at least 30 days in order to provide you with time to submit all materials. Once the Registrar receives and processes these documents, you will receive an email informing you that you are enrolled. Then, you can access the program course materials posted to the SOC Blackboard site at https://soc.blackboard.com by using your default login credentials:
Password: LAST NAME (UPPER CASE) + last 4 SSN (example: RAMBO4533)
Once logged in, change your password.
It may take up to three duty days after you receive your enrollment email for your account to be established. If you do not receive an email verifying your enrollment in the SOS DL program after three duty days, please submit a helpdesk ticket through http://www.AUEducationSupport.com > Request Support > Submit a Ticket > Ticket Description > Organization > AU Registrar’s Office.Please note that there is a backlog of civilians waiting to enroll in the SOS DL program.
Last Updated: 22 October 2014