SOS ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
1. CURRENT PASSING PT TEST• You MUST have a current/passing PT Test WITHOUT EXCEPTIONS on file in AF Fitness Management System (AFFMSII) that lasts through your graduation date.
• You wilL be REQUIRED to provide a hardcopy printout from AFFMSII showing your current score and expiration date on Day 1.
****Expiration Fitness Assessment Due to Deployment of 90+ days****
Students with an expired PT Test who will attend SOS within 42 days after returning from a deployment of over 90 days MUST request an Exception to Policy (ETP) waiver and receive written approval to use the expired score. Students who have been home more than 42 days are NOT eligible to request an ETP.
EXCEPTION TO POLICY
2. APPROVED EXCEPTION TO POLICY (ETP) (required for PT test exemptions, profiles, and waivers)*** All ETP Waivers MUST Be Signed By Your Home Station Wing Commander ***
• Students attending SOS with exemption on ANY component of their current PT Test, MUST request an ETP and receive written approval.
• Students with PT exemptions are highly discouraged from attending SOS and are encouraged to attend a later course. (See " SOS Fitness Requirements " below).
• If you are on ANY medical waivers you must submit an ETP.
• Download an ETP from link above or from the DOWNLOADS menu under Fitness Test Waiver.
***Completed Waivers Form must be returned to SOC Student Services NO LATER THAN 5 duty days PRIOR to class start date.***
3. GRADE/RANK• Military: must be a Captain and cannot pin on Major while attending SOS.
o Students who pin on Major while at SOS will be sent home.
• Civilians, must be GS-9 through GS-12.
• See AFI 36-2301 for more info.
4. INELIGIBLE STUDENTSPer Air University Instruction 36-2315, if a TDY student reports for a course and is found to be ineligible due to failure to meet ANY eligibility requirements without an ETP, the student will be returned to his or her unit at the parent unit's expense.
SOS FITNESS REQUIREMENTS
Students attending SOS are expected to be in top physical condition and should expect to complete a weekly 5K run, a 10K at the end of the course, and other strenuous activities including climbing, lifting, and hoisting one's body weight, in the central Alabama weather conditions.
Total Active Federal Service Commitment (TAFSC) Waiver
• You are NOT required to submit a TAFSC waiver to SOS before attending the course.
• All TAFSC waivers should be routed through your MAJCOM/A1 office.
o NOTE: Some MAJCOMS have delegated the approval authority for TAFSC waivers to individual Wing Commanders. Consult your MAJCOM A1.
• SOS does not need to see your TAFSC waiver. ***Reminder, you CANNOT pin on Major while attending SOS. ***
(See ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS above)
TRANSPORTATION, LODGING & ARRIVAL INSTRUCTIONS
SOS does NOT provide students rental cars, nor can it authorize their use on your orders. Students do not require a vehicle during their time at SOS but may find it more convenient to bring a personal/rental vehicle. You do not need to register a vehicle when you arrive on Maxwell. Contact your unit training/financial training manager if you will need personal transportation. Civilians should keep in mind that the nearest grocery store to Maxwell AFB is approximately 6 miles outside the gate. If you are unable to bring a personal vehicle or secure a rental car, you should notify your flight commander on day 1 of class so that they are aware of your situation.
Taxi is the only transportation available to/from the airport for students who do not bring their own means of transportation. Students must arrive and check in one (1) day before the class start date. Students arriving from overseas are allowed to report two (2) days prior to the class start date. If you are delayed, please call SOS student help line ASAP. If you know that you will arriving more than two days early, call Maxwell Lodging.
The SOS schedule and curriculum are focused on an unaccompanied officer residing in the dorms. All Air University student lodging is managed by 42 ABW/FSS and rooms are automatically reserved for SOS students. SOS does not coordinate special accommodations or address lodging issues. For more specific information, see the Lodging and Finance section.
SOS Reporting GuideSOS in-processing is the day prior to class from 1200-1900. Report to 125 Chennault Circle Maxwell AFB, AL 36112, Building 1403, Main Lobby. During in-processing, you will receive your lodging room assignment, keys, and flight assignment.
If you arrive before or after the mass in-processing time, report to the Air University lodging office, phone number (334) 953-3931, (450 N. LeMay Plaza, Bldg 682, situated between the Fitness Center and OTS) for check in and key issue.
SOS UNIFORM REQUIREMENTS
See AFI 36-2903, Dress & Appearance of AF Personnel. You must bring the following uniform items: ABU, AF PT Uniform, Blues, Service Dress, and flight suit (if authorized). SOS highly recommends you carry your service dress in your carry-on items to ensure you are in the appropriate uniform for day 1 of class.
Daily attire for the classroom should be professional, and comparable to the military light-blue short sleeve shirt combination. "Khakis" and slacks or skirts with collared shirts or blouses are examples of acceptable wear. Civilians should bring coat & tie, or equivalent professional wear for women, for wear when military students are in Service Dress. Civilian students should also bring physical training (PT) shorts of conservative length (mid-thigh), blue in color, with no writing or designs.
Special Notes on Athletic Gear
During cold weather months (November to March) a set of Air Force PTU cold weather gear is highly recommended. Two pairs of running shoes are also highly encouraged. All other uniform additions must comply with AFI 36-2903.
ACCESSING SOS ONLINE AND COMPUTER REQUIREMENTS
Email SOC Blackboard Helpdesk Hours: M-F, 0730-1730 Central Time for further instructions.SOS curriculum is 100% digital on the SOC Blackboard Learning Management System. Previous non-residence program Blackboard passwords will not work for SOS in-residence.
Your username and password will be: first.last.sos
These credentials will only work for currently-enrolled students. Email the Blackboard helpdesk for assistance.
SOS HIGHLY RECOMMENDS you bring a computer/laptop to access curriculum while at SOS.
***DO NOT CALL SOS STUDENT SERVICES FOR LODGING OR BLACKBOARD ASSISTANCE***
Student Services Help Line: DSN 493-4SOC (4762), Commercial (334) 953-4762
2 February 2016